Fire Safety Advice
A fire in the home can cause devastating damage both structurally and emotionally, it can also cost lives. Using the advice given by the Fire Service, we have created this guide to help you stay safe and prevent fires starting at home.
Aside from the most important piece of advice – to focus on getting out of the burning building – this guide explains how to reduce the risks of your home catching fire in the first place.
In the kitchen
According to the Fire Service, around half of home fires are caused by cooking accidents.
Keep the oven and hob clean. Don’t let food and fat build up on the oven, hob or grill or you risk them starting to burn and causing a fire.
Don’t leave children in the kitchen alone. Turn saucepan handles towards the hob so little hands can’t reach up to grab at them.
Be careful of loose clothing. Wear short sleeves or roll them up and don’t leave oven gloves or tea towels hanging near the hob.
Buy a fire blanket for your kitchen. Be careful when deep fat frying, hot cooking oil sets alight easily, if oil starts to smoke it’s too hot, turn off the heat and leave it to cool.
- If a pan catches fire don’t take any risks, turn off the heat and if safe to do so, cover with a fire blanket. Never throw water over it. Don’t try to tackle the fire yourself, just get yourself to safety and call 999.
- It is advisable to have extinguishers in the home and garage
- A foam/water extinguisher is suitable for use on fires which are caused by lit paper, cardboard, textiles and fabric.
- A dry powder extinguisher is suitable on fires caused by lit paper, cardboard, textiles and fabric as well as fires caused by petrol, diesel or oil, together with fires involving butane, methane and propane; it is also suitable for electrical fires